Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Address: 4750 W 16th St. Indianapolis, IN 46222


The Museum’s origin is generally attributed to an idea conceived by Anton Hulman Jr. (the Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner) as early as 1947, which likely was refined over the next eight years in discussions among Karl Kizer (owner of Century Tire Co. and the Museum’s first curator), Hulman, and Wilbur Shaw (three-time winning driver) on their various hunting trips in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Reportedly, Kizer offered to donate Fred Frame’s 1932 winning car, which had come into his possession. He also reported that the winning cars from 1911 and 1912, plus Shaw’s victorious Maserati of 1939 and 1940, were readily available. Shaw’s death in October 1954 is often cited as the instigating factor in getting the plans for the museum under way.

The Museum was opened in 1956 to display race vehicles and memorabilia, principally associated with the Indianapolis 500 race. The first Museum building was located at the southwest corner of the Speedway’s property where the Speedway’s Administration Building now stands. It was large enough only to display a few vintage race cars. Before long, it was obvious something more substantial was needed. During 1975, Hulman built the larger, more modern Museum facility within the Speedway oval, its opening coinciding with the United States Bicentennial celebration in 1976.

HOURS

MARCH – OCTOBER 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
NOVEMBER – FEBRUARY 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum is open every day of the year except for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. We are in the Eastern Time Zone.

Scroll to Top

Add a Listing

"*" indicates required fields

Listing Address
Contact Name*

Send a Comment

"*" indicates required fields

Add a Listing

"*" indicates required fields

Listing Address
Contact Name*